Pages

Aug 8, 2011

They aren't just Things

I was out walking the other day, walking and sweating profusely really. The heat and humidity combination makes it so one could track me by the trail of sweat I was leaving, but I digress. I saw a new field of hay bales, new to me that is, through an open gate. Walking into this place felt different, could have been the number of bales or the old house on the hill, I don't know for sure and yet the place felt very alive. As you could imagine I was quite excited seeing and sensing all these 'Beings'. Each one was different and as I gazed across the field I was seeing more of a herd, a herd that just moved slower than my eye would perceive.


I imagined by sitting and watching long enough they'd get use to me and go back to their business of rolling around, much like the Far Side cartoon with the cows


This cartoon has always gotten a chuckle out of me. Anyway, so I was imagining one of those bales had let the others know I was coming and they all stopped.



Wandering around with a beautiful sky and all these bales had me seeing them differently, not just as things. I began to feel their relationship to the ground under them, to the breezes sliding over and around them.
As I wandered to this one below I thought of the wild stallion watching over his herd as they grazed peacefully knowing they were being cared for.



I was joining in a journey over the mountain with this group, following the trail of those who've already gone. No rush, no hurry just a trek to see what's on the other side.



It's been a couple days and these bale beings came to mind this morning in meditation, beyond the herd playing still. They are alive. They are friends I could sit in the shade of with my back against theirs. One day they'll be little cows or goats or horses just as I will be.

Opening to this way of imagining changes everything in seeing the world for me. The 'sameness' falls away. Relationships develop between myself and them and I see more clearly, more deeply the relationships of everything to everything all around me, including me. When I touch these places the world changes right before my eyes. The life and connection of all wakes up in me again and again. Of course I fall asleep and that just makes waking up the next time all that more exciting.

I'd love to hear what you see or how you see life around you. What wakes you up to the magic of the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment